CARING FOR OUR ENVIRONMENT
We believe in the principals of Kaitiakitanga (to care for, manage and protect our natural, cultural and built environment for current and future generations) and Manaakitanga (which implies a reciprocal responsibility upon us as hosts, and you as visitors to experience the very best we have to offer.)
We wish to preserve and enhance the natural beauty of this park and the wider Rakaia area in order that future generations may enjoy it as we do today. This means carefully meeting the needs of today while giving thought to the needs of tomorrow. We would be grateful if you assist us in taking care of our little piece of New Zealand.
WHAT WE ARE DOING . . .
- Using and replacing with energy saving light bulbs.
- Monitoring our use of electricity, and turning off all appliances when not in use.
- Providing airing racks for towels in motel units.
- Using cylinder wraps for our hot water storage.
- Motion sensors to activate lighting where possible.
- Providing recycling stations and further recycling waste before delivering to the local transfer station.
- Providing reusable glass bottles for milk in our motel units.
- Maintaining our trees and replacing with natives where appropriate.
- Buying locally when possible to reduce our transport emissions.
- Where possible we purchase sustainable and environmentally friendly products.
- We have installed devices in the shower heads to reduce water volume without compromising on quality.
- Minimize irrigation by using mulch and drought resistant planting.
WHAT YOU CAN DO . . .
- Turn off lights and appliances when not in use. Close doors.
- Use cold wash for laundry and dry your washing in the sunshine.
- Sort rubbish correctly, rinse cans and bottles and place in the recycling bins.
- Leave unwanted books and magazines in the library (in recreation room) for others to enjoy.
- Respect and enjoy our trees and gardens. Please don't litter.
- Limit showers and ensure taps are turned off properly. Use water sparingly.
- Turn off water when cleaning teeth.
- Put in the plug when cleaning vegetables.